I am writing this a little late but it may come handy next year or tomorrow for those of you who are looking to keep your children busy on the long weekend. My best friend’s mother is Swiss and always had the loveliest traditions. She invited me over yesterday for a little egg-dying workshop. Sixtine stayed with Nana at home and off I was, excited to see what she had in store for me. She didn’t disappoint.
As seen on the collage, these eggs were decorated with little flowers and herbs that can be found anywhere.
- Decoration: Start your workshop with a little stroll to the nearby park and pick up some flowers and greens of your liking.
- Dye: You can buy red onions, regular onions, blueberries and/or anythingother vegetable or fruit that will leave a stain. Store onion skins a few weeks prior or buy some and use them for baking (we don’t want to waste, do we!)
- Use a little bowl of water to damp your herbs and flowers so that they will “stick” to the egg. Apply.
- Tie up with thread.
- Boil it all in a pot containing onion skins (or any other vegetable you decided to work with) for 10 mins.
- Remove thread and flowers/herbs.
- Leave it to dry.
- And voilà !
- This will make pretty boiled eggs which can be eaten within one week.
Hope you all had a wonderful Easter weekend ! We sure did !